Lazio hosted Fiorentina at the Stadio Olimpico in Matchday 8 of the Serie A TIM; a match that was essential to be won according to Laziali. After back-to-back defeats at home in the Derby della Capitale against Roma and away in the Europa League to Eintracht Frankfurt, the pressure was mounting on the players and Simone Inzaghi. However, they managed to pull off a 1-0 victory today to kick-start their break on a high note and dismiss any negative energy thanks to a goal from no other than Ciro Immobile. In this post, we will cover Laziali’s opinions from around the world, as we reflect on the Sunday victory over La Viola that takes the biancocelesti to a top-five place in the table.
It is very common to see the Ultras of a club blame certain individuals for losses. Following two defeats, Lazio’s Ultras took to writing on a banner to express their anger: “Sergej Milinkovic-Savic and Luis Alberto: fake talent who are just hunting for cash.” This clearly goes to show how unimpressed Laziali are surrounding both of these superstar’s performances so far this season; Luis Alberto has two goals, whilst Milinkovic Savic has one goal and one assist in all competitions.
Nice to see #Immobile back on the scoreboard, however sad to see #Wallace back to playing poor; looks very shaky every time the ball comes to his feet. In addition, the referee is having a tough time controlling the match – too many fouls piling up in this match being uncalled. pic.twitter.com/XzVGTBh6oS
— S. K. MOORE (@S_K_MOORE) October 7, 2018
A key figure was once again Lazio’s #17. Ciro is once again carrying this Lazio side; a goal in today’s match took him to a tally of 6 goals in 8 starts this season (all competitions).
Another hot topic was Wallace… After Luiz Felipe was injured in Matchday 1 to Napoli, Wallace was the man to step up and take the starting role and he did so perfectly. However, as pointed out at halftime (see tweet above), today was just not his match. He was consequentially replaced for his poor play; will this be the end of his starting role?
All in all, three points secured, a happy Laziali community, a happy Lazio dressing room.
- Lazio looked shaky at the back; they tried to park the bus but don’t have to team to do it
- We were lucky to get the win
- Stefan Radu had a terrific match returning from injury
- Alban Lafont should have been sent off for his elbow to Lucas Leiva despite getting the ball
- First-half penalty shouts for Felipe Caicedo and Giovanni Simeone were both correctly ignored; Caicedo wasn’t fouled and Simeone was offside even if he was fouled
- Ciro Immobile breaks Viola curse
A nervous game between two teams that wanted to prove themselves: a Lazio that wanted to string the pieces of last season back together and the new sensation of Fiorentina. Referee Orsato got it wrong with Lafont running into Leiva in the first half; other than that he kept the whistle out of his mouth for several occasions. Sergej looked nervous and arrogant in his passes.
The Laziali Community
These were the three questions asked via @The_Laziali on twitter:
- How do you think today’s match went; were you happy with the performance?
- Do you think Inzaghi be starting other players?
- Who were your top three/bottom three footballers for Lazio?
The following, are responses from Lazio fans around the world.
- Too many Fiorentina occasions. We are not scoring like last year and the defense is not ok
- Correa, Berisha, Patric should be starters in my opinion
- Top three? Immobile, Strakosha, Correa; Bottom three? Wallace, Marusic
- Happy for 3 points, but the match was boring.
- Yes, when Lazio reach their goals (ex: promotion for UCL)
- Top three: Immobile, Acerbi; Bottom three: Marusic, Wallace, Sergej
- It was not good, but getting 3 points is most important
- Berisha is finally back so he will be given chances
- Top three: Immobile (no doubt), Lucas Leiva, Acerbi; Bottom three: Wallace. Wallace. Wallace
Not best match to watch but with a lot of chances from both sides. Full of fight. Top: Ciro, Acerbi, Leiva. Flop: Wallace, SMS, Berisha.
- A win is a win but Viola could beat us in the last 10 minutes
- Yes, let’s try Berisha, Milinkovic has been poor lately
- Top: Immobile, Leiva, Radu; Bottom: Wallace, Marusic, Lulic