Matchday 17, Lazio 0-0 Hellas Verona: Statistical Analysis

Hellas Verona vs Lazio

Hellas Verona vs Lazio

In Matchday 17 of the 2019/20 Serie A, Simone Inzaghi’s Lazio drew Ivan Juric’s Hellas Verona 0-0 at the Stadio Olimpico. Below, a statistical analysis of the game between the Biancocelesti and the Gialloblu.

Lazio vs Hellas Verona: Expected Goals (xG) Step Plot

Lazio vs Hellas Verona, Expected Goals (xG) Step Plot, Source- @TacticsPlatform

Lazio vs Hellas Verona, Expected Goals (xG) Step Plot, Source- @TacticsPlatform

The diagram above represents a summary of all simulations. The y-axis represents the cumulative xG (how many goals should be scored) and the x-axis represents time. Lazio had a cumulative xG of 1.06 and Hellas Verona had a cumulative xG of 0.84.

In addition, the diagram above summarizes every shot taken by each club. Each shot is represented by a step and the height of the step measures the xG outcome of that shot; the higher the step, the more likely that the shot taken should have been converted. The Biancocelesti had 19 total shots (4 shots on target) and the Gialloblu had 13 total shots (2 shots on target) in the match.

Furthermore, a dot with a name on the ‘Expected Goals Step Plot’ represents when a goal was scored and who the goal was scored by. As pictured above, there were no goalscorers.

Finally, the colored bar in the top left of the diagram shows the probability of each club winning the match or a draw occurring. The probability of Lazio winning the match was 40%, the probability of Hellas Verona winning the match was 28%, and the probability of a draw occurring was 32%.

Lazio vs Hellas VeronaOutcome Probability Bar Chart

Lazio vs Hellas Verona, Outcome Probability Bar Chart, Source- @TacticsPlatform

Lazio vs Hellas Verona, Outcome Probability Bar Chart, Source- @TacticsPlatform

The charts in the diagram above are a summary of a 10,000-time simulation of the probability of how many goals: Lazio (most likely 1) and Hellas Verona (most likely 0) should have scored; the colored bar is the actual number of goals the Biancocelesti (0) and the Gialloblu (0) scored.

Lazio vs Hellas VeronaPass Network Plot & Shot Location Plot

Lazio vs Hellas Verona, Pass Network Plot & Shot Location Plot, Source- @TacticsPlatform

Lazio vs Hellas Verona, Pass Network Plot & Shot Location Plot, Source- @TacticsPlatform

The diagram above firstly shows the number of passes completed by each side in the match. Overall, Lazio had 526 passes with a 77.8% accuracy rate while Hellas Verona had 480 passes with a 71.9% accuracy rate.

Secondly, the diagram outlines the most active players for each team. Each player is represented by a node; the size of each node denotes the number of touches each player had. Lazio’s most active players on the ball were Francesco Acerbi, Patric, Sergej Milinkovic-Savic, Lucas Leiva, and Luis Alberto; Hellas Verona’s most active players on the ball were Miguel Veloso, Matteo Pessina, Marash Kumbulla, Darko Lazovic, and Marco Faraoni.

Thirdly, the diagram indicates the pass connections between teammates. These connections are the shaded grey lines throughout the plots; the size and shade of the line between players indicates the frequency of a pass connection. It is important to note that the direction of each connection is not shown. The five main connections for Inzaghi’s men were between Strakosha-Acerbi, Acerbi-Patric, Patric-Lazzari, Luis Alberto-Immobile, and Luis Alberto-Caicedo; the five main connections for Juric’s men were between Gunter-Kumbulla, Kumbulla-Pessina, Pessina-Lazovic, Pessina-Zaccagni, and Lazovic-Zaccagni. These aforementioned connections are outlined in light blue (Lazio) and blue (Hellas Verona).

Finally, this diagram shows the coordinates of each shot. The shots are plotted as light grey dots while goals are plotted as dark blue dots. The size of each dot represents the xG; the bigger the dot, the higher the chance that this opportunity should have found the back of the net (been a dark blue dot). As mentioned before, the Biancocelesti had 19 total shots (shots on target) and the Gialloblu had 13 total shots (shots on target).

This content is part of the collaboration between The Laziali and Cheuk Hei Ho

To converse with fellow Laziali, visit r/Lazio, a subreddit on Reddit made by Lazio fans, for Lazio fans

%d bloggers like this: