Matchday 23, Parma 0-1 Lazio: Statistical Analysis

Parma vs Lazio: Statistical Analysis

Parma vs Lazio
Parma vs Lazio

In Matchday 23 of the 2019/20 Serie A, Simone Inzaghi’s Lazio defeated Roberto D’Aversa’s Parma 1-0 at the Stadio Ennio Tardini. Below, a statistical analysis of the game between the Biancocelesti and the Gialloblu.

Expected Goals (xG) Step Plot

Parma vs Lazio, Expected Goals (xG) Step Plot, Source- @TacticsPlatform
Parma vs Lazio, Expected Goals (xG) Step Plot, Source- @TacticsPlatform

The diagram above represents a summary of all simulations. The y-axis represents the cumulative xG (how many goals should be scored) and the x-axis represents time. Lazio had a cumulative xG of 1.90 and Parma had a cumulative xG of 0.96.

In addition, the diagram above summarizes every shot taken by each club. Each shot is represented by a step and the height of the step measures the xG outcome of that shot; the higher the step, the more likely that the shot taken should have been converted. The Biancocelesti had 19 total shots (4 shots on target) and the Gialloblu had 13 total shots (2 shots on target) in the match.

Furthermore, a dot with a name on the ‘Expected Goals Step Plot’ represents when a goal was scored and who the goal was scored by. As pictured above, the only goalscorer was Felipe Caicedo (41′).

Finally, the colored bar in the top left of the diagram shows the probability of each club winning the match or a draw occurring. The probability of Lazio winning the match was 61%, the probability of Parma winning the match was 17%, and the probability of a draw occurring was 22%.

Outcome Probability Bar Chart

Parma vs Lazio, Outcome Probability Bar Chart, Source- @TacticsPlatform
Parma vs Lazio, Outcome Probability Bar Chart, Source- @TacticsPlatform

The charts in the diagram above are a summary of a 10,000-time simulation of the probability of how many goals: Lazio (most likely 2) and Parma (most likely 1) should have scored; the colored bar is the actual number of goals the Biancocelesti (1) and the Gialloblu (0) scored.

Pass Network Plot & Shot Location Plot

Parma vs Lazio, Pass Network Plot & Shot Location Plot, Source- @TacticsPlatform
Parma vs Lazio, Pass Network Plot & Shot Location Plot, Source- @TacticsPlatform

The diagram above firstly shows the number of passes completed by each side in the match. Overall, Lazio had 498 passes with an 80.7% accuracy rate while Parma had 435 passes with a 79.5% accuracy rate.

Secondly, the diagram outlines the most active players for each team. Each player is represented by a node; the size of each node denotes the number of touches each player had. Lazio’s most active players on the ball were Patric, Francesco Acerbi, Jony, Luis Alberto, and Lucas Leiva; Parma’s most active players on the ball were Bruno Alves, Hernani, Jasmin Kurtic, Riccardo Gagliolo, and Matteo Darmian.

Thirdly, the diagram indicates the pass connections between teammates. These connections are the shaded grey lines throughout the plots; the size and shade of the line between players indicates the frequency of a pass connection. It is important to note that the direction of each connection is not shown. The five main connections for Inzaghi’s men were between Patric-Luiz Felipe, Luiz Felipe-Acerbi, Acerbi-Jony, Lucas Leiva-Luis Alberto, and Luis Alberto-Immobile; the five main connections for Juric’s men were between Gagliolo-Bruno Alves, Bruno Alves-Darmian, Iacoponi-Darmian, Darmian-Kucka, and Hernani-Kucka. These aforementioned connections are outlined in light blue (Lazio) and yellow (Parma).

Finally, this diagram shows the coordinates of each shot. The shots are plotted as light grey dots while goals are plotted as dark blue dots. The size of each dot represents the xG; the bigger the dot, the higher the chance that this opportunity should have found the back of the net (been a dark blue dot). As mentioned before, the Biancocelesti had 23 total shots (5 shots on target) and the Gialloblu had 19 total shots (shots on target).

This content is part of the collaboration between The Laziali and Cheuk Hei Ho