Lazio’s 2019/20 Serie A season will come to an end on August 1, 2020, with their final match being played away at the Stadio San Paolo against Napoli. The Biancocelesti will head into this match against the Partenopei in fourth place in the top flight of Italian football. They have a record of 24W-6D-7L (78 points) and a goal differential of +39 (78 goals scored, 39 goals conceded); they have the third-best goal differential, the third-most goals scored, and the second-least goals conceded.
Despite already clinching a top-four finish in the league this season, Simone Inzaghi’s side is not satisfied – they want to climb the table. This is especially due to the fact that, in the unlikely case that Roma wins the UEFA Europa League and Napoli wins the UEFA Champions League, Lazio will miss out on qualification to the European competition contested by top-division European clubs (as there are only five slots for each country).
As it stands:
- Inter sits in second with 79 points (with a goal differential of +43)
- Atalanta sits in third with 78 points (with a goal differential of +52)
- Lazio sits in fourth with 78 points (with a goal differential of +39)
In the scenario that Lazio finishes with the same points as one of the other two clubs, both Atalanta and Inter would have the edge over the Biancocelesti; Atalanta won against Lazio in Bergamo and drew in Rome, and despite Inter and Lazio each winning against each other once, the Nerazzurri have a better goal difference in Serie A. Therefore…
If Lazio defeats Napoli:
- Lazio will finish second in Serie A (if the game between Atalanta and Inter ends in a draw)
- Lazio will finish third in Serie A (if either Atalanta or Inter wins)
If Lazio draws Napoli:
- Lazio will finish third in Serie A (if Inter wins the game against Atalanta)