Lazio take on Cagliari at the Stadio Olimpico in Matchday 4 of the 2021/22 Serie A.
In the 70 times that these two clubs have played each other in the top flight of Italian football, the Biancocelesti have won on 37 occasions, the Rossoblu have won on 17 occasions, and there have been 16 draws.
When playing at home, Lazio has a record of 23W-7D-5L against Cagliari, scoring a total of 64 goals while conceding a total of 33 goals.
Lazio Team News & Expected Starting Lineup
In their recent league match against AC Milan, they were defeated 2-0. Rafael Leao and Zlatan Ibrahimovic scored late in the first half and early in the second half to secure all three points.
Every player should be available for this fixture.
Cagliari Team News & Expected Starting Lineup
In their recent league match against Genoa, they were defeated 3-2. Despite going up 2-0 thanks to goals from João Pedro and Luca Ceppitelli, the Rossoblu fought back to score three goals within twenty minutes to secure all three points.
Concerning absences, Marko Rog (knee injury), Damir Ceter (unknown injury), Diego Godin (knee injury), and Kevin Strootman (thigh injury) are set to miss this fixture.
Lazio’s Player to Watch: Ciro Immobile
Ciro Immobile’s first goal in the Italian top-flight was against Cagliari back in August 2012 when he played with Genoa. They are one of three teams that the Italian striker has scored at least 10 goals in Serie A against (10 goals in 12 matches) along with Sampdoria (12) and Genoa (11).
Cagliari’s Player to Watch: João Pedro
João Pedro could become the first Cagliari player to be involved in at least one goal in each of his first four Serie A seasonal games since 2004/05. Thus far this campaign, the Brazilian attacker has scored three goals and provided one assist; however, against Lazio, the player has only been able to score two goals and provide one assist in 10 fixtures.
Lazio vs Cagliari: Statistics & Facts
- Lazio are unbeaten in their last 14 Serie A matches against Cagliari (12 wins, two draws), averaging 2.3 goals per match.
- Lazio have won each of their last 10 Serie A home games against Cagliari; only against Triestina between 1935 and 1954 have they had a longer such streak (16) against a single opponent in the competition.
- Cagliari could be winless in the first four Serie A seasonal games for the first time since 2014/15; that was also the last time in which the Rossoblù have lost three of the first four.
- Sarri has not lost a match against Mazzarri so far in his career (one win, one draw).
- In the eight times that Sarri has faced Cagliari, he has only ever lost twice (5W-1D-2L).
- In the 24 times that Mazzarri has faced Lazio, he has a record of 7W-8D-9L.
Lazio vs Cagliari: Prediction
Following back-to-back losses against AC Milan and Galatasaray (where they were unable to find the back of the net), Lazio will be looking to return to winning ways. However, as this will be Mazzarri’s first game in charge, expect the Rossoblu to come out firing on all fronts to try and secure their first victory of the season under their newly appointed manager.
- Lazio 3-1 Cagliari