Lazio took revenge in a fleet-footed 2-1 win over FC Midtjylland last night, putting on a good show without skipper Ciro Immobile.
The Biancocelesti needed to bounce back from their frustrating 5-1 defeat to the Danish outfit last month and they performed well on a warm evening in Rome, fighting to secure all three points in a tough clash, with goals coming from Sergej Milinkovic-Savic and Pedro.
Lazio are now tied with Sturm Graz on eight points in Group F and a positive result against Feyenoord next week will see them qualify for the Round of 16 of the Europa League, an important step forward following their slight European wobbles this season.
The team also proved their ability to grind out a win without Immobile for the second game in a row, a comforting sign for Maurizio Sarri, who’ll have to do without the talismanic forward for the rest of the games in the run-up to the World Cup break.
Below is the Lazio squad’s player ratings for their 2-1 win over FC Midtjylland
- 5.5: Provedel, Basic, Marcos Antonio, Cataldi, Vecino, Luka Romero;
- 6: Romagnoli, Gila, Hysaj, Cancellieri, Pedro;
- 6.5: Marusic, Zaccagni;
- 7: Milinkovic-Savic, Felipe Anderson.
La Gazzetta dello Sport:
- 5: Gila, Romagnoli;
- 5.5: Marcos Antonio;
- 6: Provdel, Hysaj, Marusic, Cataldi, Basic, Vecino, Cancellieri, Romero;
- 6.5: Felipe Anderson;
- 7: Milinkovic-Savic, Pedro;
- 7.5: Zaccagni.
Corriere dello Sport:
- 5.5: Gila;
- 6: Provedel, Marusic, Marcos Antonio, Basic, Vecino, Cancellieri;
- 6.5: Romagnoli, Cataldi, Romero;
- 7: Milinkovic-Savic;
- 7.5: Felipe Anderson, Pedro, Zaccagni.