A 10-man Lazio did well to hold onto a 1-0 lead over CFR Cluj, picking up an important win in the first leg of their Europa Conference League knockout play-offs.
Defender Patric was shown a red card after just 15 minutes following a dreadful challenge as the last man on a charging Ermal Krasniqi, putting his side on the back foot almost immediately.
Lazio held firm despite the man-disadvantage and Ciro Immobile found the back of the net just before half time with a beautiful volley following a chipped pass from Felipe Anderson.
A tiring second half followed but Maurizio Sarri’s side refused to give up, holding onto their 1-0 lead and even threatening to score a second on a number of occasions.
It was a positive outing for the majority of the squad, with the only disappointment being the player brought in for the injured Alessio Romagnoli – Patric. Marcos Antonio was taken off to make space for Mario Gila.
Lazio player ratings for their 1-0 win over CFR Cluj
- 3: Patric;
- 5: Marcos Antonio;
- 5.5: Elseid Hysaj, Nicolo Casale, Mario Gila, Marusic, Pedro;
- 6: Maximiano, Lazzari;
- 6.5: Vecino, Zaccagni, Immobile;
- 7: Milinkovic-Savic, Felipe Anderson.
La Gazzetta dello Sport:
- 4.5: Patric;
- 5: Lazzari;
- 6: Maximiano, Marusic, Pedro;
- 6.5: Casale, Hysaj, Gila, Vecino, Zaccagni;
- 7: Milinkovic-Savic, Felipe Anderson, Immobile.
Corriere dello Sport:
- 4.5: Patric;
- 5.5: Lazzari, Casale;
- 6: Maximiano, Hysaj, Marusic, Pedro;
- 6.5: Milinkovic-Savic, Gila, Vecino, Felipe Anderson, Zaccagni;
- 7.5: Immobile.