There was not much to write home about in Lazio’s uninspiring goalless draw with CFR Cluj, although a few players still managed to stand out.
The Biancocelesti did what was required to progress to the Round of 16 of the Europa Conference League, holding firm as they saw out their 1-0 aggregate win. On the night, however, it was a wasteful and forgettable evening for Maurizio Sarri’s side, who failed to find a breakthrough despite their dominance.
Lazio missed a number of clear-cut chances throughout the match in Romania, and were lucky that Cluj were equally toothless in attack. It wasn’t a positive night for Ciro Immobile or Luka Romero, who couldn’t find the back of the net, but others like Felipe Anderson, Matias Vecino and Mario Gila put in a good shift.
Lazio have been drawn against Eredivisie outfit AZ Alkmaar in the Round of 16 of the competition, setting up an interesting and difficult tie.
Lazio player ratings for the 0-0 draw with CFR Cluj
- 5: Maximiano, Hysaj, Cataldi, Romero, Immobile, Cancellieri;
- 5.5: Casale, Basic, Luis Alberto;
- 6: Lazzari, Vecino, Felipe Anderson;
- 6.5: Gila.
La Gazzetta dello Sport:
- 5.5: Casale, Basic;
- 6: Maximiano, Lazzari, Hysaj, Cataldi, Cancellieri, Immobile, Felipe Anderson;
- 6.5: Vecino, Luis Alberto, Romero;
- 7: Gila.
Corriere dello Sport
- 5.5: Basic, Romero;
- 6: Maximiano, Lazzari, Gila, Casale, Vecino, Cataldi, Cancellieri;
- 6.5: Luis Alberto, Immobile, Felipe Anderson;
- 7: Hysaj.