Lazio rose to the occasion at a packed Stadio Diego Armando Maradona, shocking league leaders Napoli in a 1-0 win.
The Biancocelesti looked set to become the latest team to fall to the punishing Partenopei, who have been one of the most electric teams in Europe this season, but they surprised many by edging out a 1-0 win over the home side.
Matias Vecino was the difference maker in the 67th minute of the match, with his lashed long-shot from 25 yards out flying into Alex Meret’s goal, putting Lazio 1-0 up. Maurizio Sarri’s side showed off their defensive stability throughout the match and deservedly took home all three points, putting them in a strong position in the fight for a top four finish.
It wasn’t Lazio’s usual stars who shined in Campania, with players like Ciro Immobile and Luis Alberto being kept quiet, but others like Ivan Provedel and Elseid Hysaj played an instrumental role in the victory.
Lazio squad player ratings for the 1-0 win over Napoli
- 5.5: Romagnoli, Luis Alberto, Immobile, Pedro;
- 6: Marusic, Patric, Milinkovic-Savic, Felipe Anderson, Zaccagni;
- 6.5: Provedel, Hysaj;
- 7: Vecino.
La Gazzetta dello Sport:
- 6: Patric, Luis Alberto, Felipe Anderson, Pedro, Immobile, Zaccagni, Cancellieri;
- 6.5: Marusic, Hysaj, Milinkovic-Savic;
- 7: Provedel, Romagnoli;
- 7.5: Vecino.
Corriere dello Sport:
- 6: Pedro, Immobile;
- 6.5: Patric, Felipe Anderson, Zaccagni;
- 7: Provedel, Marusic, Hysaj, Milinkovic-Savic, Luis Alberto;
- 7.5: Romagnoli;
- 8: Vecino.