Lazio showed why they deserve a spot in the Champions League with a mature win over a tricky Monza side.
The Biancocelesti could’ve easily fallen victim to the Biancorossi, who are continuing to grow and develop under young coach Raffaele Palladino, but a focused performance from Maurizio Sarri’s squad ensured the side snatched all three points in Lombardy, an important result ahead of their clash with Juventus.
A number of Lazio’s usual stars again showed their class and quality against Monza, with players like Mattia Zaccagni, Pedro, Sergej Milinkovic-Savic and Ivan Provedel all having a good afternoon to guide the team to victory.
Pedro put Lazio ahead after 13 minutes with a well-placed shot, smartly latching onto a hopeful pass from a tumbling Zaccagni. Milinkovic-Savic doubled the Biancocelesti’s lead after 56 minutes with a curling free-kick from 25 yards out, capping off a mature win from Sarri’s squad.
The Lazio squad’s player ratings for their 2-0 win over Monza
- 5.5: Casale, Romagnoli, Hysaj, Vecino, Basic, Immobile;
- 6: Lazzari, Felipe Anderson;
- 6.5: Provedel, Cataldi, Luis Alberto, Pedro;
- 7: Milinkovic-Savic, Zaccagni.
La Gazzetta dello Sport:
- 5.5: Casale, Felipe Anderson;
- 6: Lazzari, Romagnoli, Hysaj, Cataldi, Vecino, Basic, Immobile;
- 6.5: Provedel, Luis Alberto;
- 7: Milinkovic-Savic, Pedro, Zaccagni.
Corriere dello Sport:
- 6: Lazzari, Casale, Vecino, Luis Alberto, Basic, Immobile;
- 6.5: Romagnoli, Hysaj, Cataldi, Felipe Anderson;
- 7: Provedel, Milinkovic-Savic, Pedro, Zaccagni.