Lazio were clearly off the mark in their defeat to Milan and deservedly lost in a match that could have important ramifications in the race for a top four finish.
The Biancocelesti conceded two goals in the first 30 minutes of the match at the Stadio Giuseppe Meazza, allowing Ismael Bennacer and Theo Hernandez to give the Rossoneri a two-goal lead with an hour still to play.
Despite Lazio’s efforts, their toothless work up front allowed Milan to protect their two-goal advantage and hold on for the win, leaving them empty handed at San Siro after a tiring match.
The defeat is a vital wake-up call to the Biancocelesti in the final stages of the season. The team are still on track to secure a top four finish but must return to winning ways fast as their Champions League rivals fight tooth and nail for a spot in Europe’s premier club competition.
Lazio player ratings for their 2-0 loss to Milan
- 4: Casale, Provedel;
- 4.5: Pellegrini, Hysaj, Romagnoli, Marusic, Milinkovic-Savic, Immobile;
- 5: Lazzari, Basic, Pedro, Zaccagni;
- 5.5: Marcos Antonio, Luis Alberto;
- 6: Felipe Anderson.
La Gazzetta dello Sport:
- 4: Milinkovic-Savic;
- 4.5: Marcos Antonio;
- 5: Marusic, Casale, Hysaj, Basic, Luis Alberto, Immobile;
- 5.5: Lazzari, Romagnoli, Pellegrini, Felipe Anderson, Pedro;
- 6: Provedel, Zaccagni.
Corriere dello Sport:
- 5: Marusic, Casale, Milinkovic-Savic, Marcos Antonio, Immobile, Zaccagni;
- 5.5: Lazzari, Romagnoli, Hysaj, Basic, Luis Alberto, Pedro;
- 6: Provedel, Pellegrini, Felipe Anderson.