Lazio did not show their best in their 2023-24 season opener, falling in painful fashion in a 2-1 loss to Lecce.
Maurizio Sarri’s side knew that their Puglian opponents were likely to put up a strong fight following their two league meetings last season, which saw the Roman side pick up just one point.
Unfortunately for Lazio, history repeated itself once again at the Via Del Mare as Lecce held on to fight back from a 1-0 deficit to grind out a 2-1 win, with goals from Pontus Almqvist and Federico Di Francesco securing the victory for the home side.
Most of Lazio’s new signings took to the pitch at some point during their clash in Puglia, with Daichi Kamada starting and the others like Gustav Isaksen and Valentin Castellanos coming off the bench.
No player particularly stood out for Lazio, who looked generally poor and off the mark through the match, giving them a lot to work on ahead of their next game.
Lazio player ratings for the 2-1 loss to Lecce
- 4.5: Isaksen;
- 5: Provedel, Patric, Marusic, Cataldi, Vecino;
- 5.5: Lazzari, Romagnoli, Pellegrini, Kamada, Felipe Anderson;
- 6: Luis Alberto, Zaccagni, Pedro, Immobile.
- 5: Lazzari, Pellegrini, Patric, Marusic, Cataldi, Felipe Anderson;
- 5.5: Provedel, Romagnoli, Kamada, Vecino, Luis Alberto, Isaksen, Pedro;
- 6: Zaccagni;
- 6.5: Immobile.
Corriere dello Sport:
- 5: Lazzari, Vecino, Felipe Anderson;
- 5.5: Pellegrini, Romagnoli, Marusic, Cataldi, Pedro;
- 6: Provedel, Patric, Kamada, Isaksen, Zaccagni;
- 6.5: Luis Alberto;
- 7: Immobile.